I have been encouraged. This does not happen frequently. I am no pessimist but I am objective, realistic and suspiscious. Tonight, while thumbing through the pages of the blog world I came upon this: http://www.the-99-declaration.org/.
At last, someone is actually doing something. I feel that as a collective, we the people are – cynical of those we’ve put in power, -hopeless that anything will change and -doubtful that anyone will do anything of consequence. This appears to be a real effort toward affecting change. This feels like a push toward different direction. That direction may still be toward the edge of the cliff but at least we can attempt to walk a more honest and opne path.
Politicians have become synomous with theives, liars, cheaters. Can we believe anything they say? Do we think they will do anything they say they will?
The ocupy movement, the tea party, the 99% movement, we bloggers, normal people living their lives. We’ve become the voice in the wilderness. We have opted to endorse common sense and conscensus rather that voting for division and arguments made for the sake of arguing.
The 99% declaration has made 20 real goals. Are these obtainable? Some yes, some now but we must start somewhere. There is a lot more to it but here is the simple statements:
- 1. Elimination of the Corporate State.
- Overturning the “Citizens United” Case.
- Elimination of All Private Benefits to Public Servants.
- Term Limits.
- A Fair Tax Code.
- Healthcare for All.
- 7. Protection of the Planet.
- Debt Reduction.
- Jobs for All Americans.
- Student Loan Debt Refinancing.
- Ending Perpetual War for Profit.
- Emergency Reform of Public Education.
- End Outsourcing and Currency Manipulation.
- Banking and Securities Reform.
- Foreclosure Moratorium and Mortgage Refinancing.
- 16. Ending the Fed.
- Ending the Electoral College and Enactment of Uniform Federal Election Rules.
- Ending the War in Afghanistan and Care of Veterans.
- No Censorship of the Internet.
- Reinstitution of Civil Rights Including the Repeal of the NDAA.
Sorry for the typos. nothing is perfect. I signed up as a delegate for a few simple reasons. I don’t have the time to go the the convention. I want to see if rather simple, fair-minded, objective ratinoal individuals like myself can make this kind of endeavor work. What a cool project, I’d try something like that.